Sunday, June 23, 2013

The bug

I have a new best friend and it's name is "Baygon" a highly toxic aerosol bug spray that I picked up a few weeks ago at the supermarket "just in case"... That decision was one of the best I've ever made...
This island is home to a very disgusting, poisonous, and very large red centipede with a reputation for having a personality to match its looks. In fact these things can get so large that it has been known to pray on and consume mice and if it bites a person will leave at least a very painful and swollen area and a fever for up to a week.
The other night around midnight, while sitting on my bed and skyping with Shawn, I glanced up from the monitor and, as if suddenly transported to a dark horror film from the late 90's, witnessed this monster crawl quickly across the side of my wall behind my bed and duck down behind my pillows toward my nightstand. As I screamed and jumped up onto my bed I looked around wildly for that can of spray. I remember hearing Shawn asking what was happening and, remembering the one thing that I was dreading living on this island, asking if it was a centipede. I managed an "uh huh" between shrieks and pulled on my clogs with the hard thick soles just in case the stories about these horrible insects were true and when I uncovered it from it's hiding place it would run at me and hiss... I was not disappointed by these stories. As I pulled the nightstand away form the wall it dropped onto the ground and began running toward me. I pointed the nozzle toward it and sprayed while simultaneously jumping up and onto the bed once again. To my horror it began running FASTER toward me and even raised up it's front legs as if it intended to jump up and eat my face. Between shrieks I continued to spray it as it ran about in circles on the floor next to my bed emptying nearly half of a can before the creature began to slow down, twitch, twist onto its back, and then finally stop moving in a small pool of pymethrin.
I collapsed onto my bed for a minute with my heat threatening to leap from its cage while continuing to keep one eye tentatively on the dead body in the corner of my room. Shawn had managed to stay composed and talked to me throughout the ordeal, telling me I did well, and even informing me that he would have reacted in a similar fashion except that his scream would have been slightly lower pitched. I mustered the courage to walk over to the corpse and poke at it cautiously with a chopstick convinced, that at any moment, it would throw it's eyes wide open, leap up and attach itself to my throat. Instead of allowing myself to be overcome by this image I grabbed the thing with my chopsticks and walked it outside to the garbage can.
When I got back into the room I began shaking out my bad, pulling furniture away from the walls, and looking under the fridge and dresser. Where there was one, there could be more. After finding nothing I stood for a moment and became aware that I was feeling very dizzy and faint. I realized that I was standing in a completely unventilated room with over half of a can of aerosolized bug spray and this was likely not a good idea. I felt much better after opening a few windows but still had to sleep with the lights on and curled in a ball in the very center of my bed without pillows or covers.
Shawnon 1 - Centepede 0



1 comment:

  1. Me think-st you watch a few too many horror movies ;)
    Way to kill that horrible massive life threatening bug.
    Teeheeeheeeheee

    ReplyDelete