Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The creation of a new synapse.

There is certainly no skimping on brain activity within the first few weeks here. In the first week and a half we have spent over 40 hours per week in class  (and at least 30 hours studying outside of it). this is a taste of what we have looked at so far (7 days in)...In anatomy we have learned all of the bones, surfaces, and prominences of the canine thoracic limb as well as all of the intrinsic and extrinsic muscles including their origins, insertions, and actions. In Nutrition we have summarized and briefly reviewed the biochemical pathways that produce ATP both in an aerobic and anaerobic environment and moved on to discussing how carbohydrates and proteins are digested and absorbed in ruminant, mono-gastric, and hind gut fermentor species. In microbiology we have discussed a menagerie of cellular types, the stains used to highlight various portions of them, and how to identify tissue types under microscopic evaluation. In Physiology we have looked at the neuron and the propagation of the action potential down the axon and synaptic cleft. In a separate vet practice class we have discussed goal setting, time, personal finance, and business management. Needless to say my head is pounding slightly. The good news is that up to this point I feel as though I have a decent grasp at least conceptually of all the material that has been presented. I have now had several classmates tell me that I am great at explaining things and ask me for clarification during lecture or study time. This makes me feel good about both my deeper understanding of the material as well as my ability to assist my classmates. I'm sure they will be returning the favor for me once we get a little deeper.
The photo for today is simply my official portrait from the RUSVM white coat ceremony :).

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, there are moments when i wish i was getting to take those classes again...but then i remember what vet school is really like...then i thank the good Lord dont have to! ;) Proud of you.
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a lovely picture. And yes, with all that info in just one week...my eyes have crossed over the brief recap. =)

    ReplyDelete