Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Orientation week continues

Today our class sat through about 7 hours of interesting presentations given by faculty, staff, and guest with topics ranging anywhere from security and crime to local food and customs. It is true that the classrooms are quite cold and since I was in flip flops my toes nearly froze while sitting in the classroom. I have been slowly getting to know may of my classmates and so far enjoying my experience here in St. Kitts. Yesterday my orientation group was able to go Zip-lining followed by a beach volleyball tournament at an area known as "the strip". This is an area of beach on the Caribbean side of the island that has multiple bars right on the sand next to each other so that as you walk down the beach you are never far from a bottle of Carib (Carib is the local beer that is brewed here on the island). There is also some delightful rum that is brewed here and comes in flavors such as mango, vanilla, coffee, and coconut. I have discovered that the coconut rum goes very well with paradise blend fruit juice which I mix together at home and bring with me to the beach. Monday May 6th after class will be the official "White Coat Ceremony" where we will be presented with the coat worn by medical doctors and signifies our transition into professional school with this goal. Anyone interested in viewing this ceremony can do so live on that day at 1pm by following this link:

http://www.rossu.edu/veterinary-school/calendar/9/6334
White Coat Ceremony: Monday May 6th 1pm (California Time)




1 comment:

  1. Looks like a blast! How long if phe around for? SK great that she was able to help 'transition' you over to island life.

    ReplyDelete